Core Preschool and Communication Therapy (Core PACT) is a program based on our popular and highly effective PACT program. As with our original program, Core PACT addresses the communication needs of children who are struggling to learn language.
While PACT is for children ages 3 - 4, Core PACT is for children ages 2 - 3.
The program focuses on structured play and song-based learning in a group setting. It is held in a classroom-like environment to create a natural play context.
The goals of Core PACT are to:
- Build the child's verbal and nonverbal communication, symbolic play, and joint attention skills
- Integrate parents into the intervention team to help hone the child's skills in natural environments
- Be respectful of home and cultural values and honor individual differences
- Teach age-appropriate preschool participation skills
- Decrease challenging behaviors by helping parents manage environmental stressors
- Develop positive and effective alternative communication forms to replace inappropriate interactive behaviors
Core PACT is staffed by a speech-language clinician, a music therapist, and a few volunteers.
To be eligible for the program, children should be between the ages of 18-36 months and have one or more of the following:
- A limited speaking vocabulary
- A delay in the ability to follow 1- or 2-step instructions
- A delay in demonstrating pretend play and/or stringing several actions together
- A delay in sharing interests with other peers or adults (joint attention)
- Poor eye contact