How can I tell if caregiving is putting too much stress on me?
Caregiving may be putting too much stress on you if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Often feeling overwhelmed or sad
- Sleeping too much or too little
- Gaining or losing a lot of weight
- Constantly feeling tired or worried
- Loss of interest in activities you used to enjoy
- Becoming easily irritated or angered
- Frequent headaches, bodily pain, or other physical problems
- Abuse of alcohol or drugs, including prescription drugs
Talk to a psychologist or other mental health professional if your stress leads you to physically or emotionally harm the person you are caring for. At the U-M Psychological Clinic, we offer individual psychotherapy as well as group therapy for caregivers who are experiencing stress. Contact us to make an appointment. We are ready to help you care for your loved one in a way that is beneficial for both of you.